Several of our students have asked the question about converting their out of state drivers license to a Kansas drivers license and how this effects their motorcycle endorsement.  Recently, I went in search of that answer.  On the Kansas Department of Revenue webpage,, I found the following. 

PLEASE NOTE - An out of state license is acceptable as a second form of ID, but not as proof of your legal name and date of birth. You will have to provide the legal documents as outlined under Proof of Identity. Visit the National Center for Health Statistics for information on obtaining birth certificates, marriage licenses, and divorce decrees from each state.

If you have a valid out-of-state license you must:

If you have an out-of-state license (expired one year or less) you must:

  • Present acceptable proof of identity and proof of residence
  • Not be canceled, suspended, or revoked in any state
  • Pass a vision examination
  • Pass all applicable written examination(s)
  • Pay applicable fees

If you have an out-of-state license (expired more than one year) you must:


You notice that the endorsements, such as motorcycle or those that CDL drivers need, are not mentioned.  I asked the Topeka DMV if this statement from the webpage includes endorsements.  They said yes. 

My advice to you is to be assertive at the DMV and be taken care of properly.  If they don't want to honor an out of state endorsement, you should ask for the supervisor until they call Topeka and get themselves straightened out.